Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Jarrett Krosoczka serves up the PUDDING

I love our next guest. He's a returning guest and all round awesome dude. I've had the pleasure of talking to him on a few occasions (book fairs) and our daughters share the same name - which already tells you how cool we are (laughs at own comment). But seriously, if you are involved in the world of children's literature or comics then you know about Jarrett Krosoczka. If you are wadding in the kiddie-lit pool and don't know who he is... (shakes head), I can't help you.


When I read that he was contributing to the GUYS READ: THRILLER book I was more amped than a stack of Marshalls at a Punk Farm gig. If you don't know Punk Farm... (shakes head again), I seriously cannot help you.



With lots of help from Kellie at Walden Pond Press, we were able to pin Jarrett down for a few minutes during his whirlwind of a schedule and ask him a few questions about his involvement with the GR: T project. This is what he had to say for himself...


Can you talk to me about your involvement with GR: Thriller and how it came about?

Jon Scieszka invited me to create a piece for Guys Read: Thriller, and well I owe him a lot of money from off-track betting. Just kidding. My debts have been paid. I had the great opportunity of creating a piece for Guys Write for Guys Read way back in 2004, so I was delighted when Jon asked me to be a part of the Guys Read Library series.


Was it is decided that you would tell your story in comic form from the start or was there ever talk of writing in prose? 

Right from the start. I was brought on to create a graphic piece for the book. Kind of like how in Oceans 11, George Clooney hired Casey Affleck to help with the heist.

In your opinion, what makes a thrilling story? What keeps readers glued to the page? 

With a graphic novel, its all about the page turn. The bottom right hand side of every spread is an opportunity to crate a mini cliffhanger. It can be a moment as small as a character putting their hand on the doorknob and turning the page to learn whats on the other side of that door or a much bigger moment, like introducing the villain and turning the page to reveal he is attacking!


What scares you the most? Does this ever influence your writing? 

My mortgage scares me the most, so that keeps me motivated. Kidding, again. (Sort of.) I don’t allow fear to motivate me. I write in the search of awesomeness.

Don't be scared kids.

Do you think these kinds of stories important to have in literature? Why? 

Most definitely. Every reader will connect with a different genre and its important to have work available for all readers.

Did you read thrilling/scary stories growing up? If so, what were some of your favorite stories/authors?

Bunnicula was one of my favorite books from childhood. A vampire bunny? Terrifying! And in high school, I animated Stephen King’s Misery for English class.


Bunnicula was pretty scary. I remember the time I saw the killer bunny rabbit in Monty Python, I was then convinced that vampire bunnies existed. That's how they get you. Cute little bunny wunny.... HISSSSS.... CHOMP!!!

Jarrett, you are one righteous dude. Thank you again for all your time and returning to the Asylum to hang out. Kellie, as I've said on many occasions, you are awesomesauce - no - the entire factory of awesomesauce.

Stay tuned for more thrills and chills and killer bunnies!

No comments:

Post a Comment